Monday 30 December 2013

(Almost) The End OF 2013

Well, last year I reviewed the year just gone and then looked forward at what I might be doing. So, what did I achieve from my list?

I did go to Italy, as well as Paris and up to Connel. In particular, I went to a residency with the Jerusalem Studio School in Civita Castellana. It is advertised as " an incomparable incubator-like environment to the serious artist seeking a setting attuned to intense work, reflection, exploration, artistic growth, conversation, exchange and excursions – an artistic experience that can nourish a lifetime of work." and for once the advertising actually down plays the experience. Being there, talking to other artists, seeing their work in progress and experiencing Rome has clarified my path. Although I wrote last year about doing more landscapes, I now feel that this is something that should wait. It is people and their stories I am passionate about and therefore will be painting. Rome showed me what kind of work I really do not like - all those half naked, posturing, empty-headed women - which has given me a very strong urge to create the opposite - strong, intelligent people.

The other big events of the year was moving into a studio, then having my painting shoulder operated on a couple of weeks later. The two together has enabled whole new ways of working - in series, at an easel, using bigger brushes and bigger canvases, for starters. In many ways I am still processing the changes, but the results should be visible over the next six months - and next week I will write about these aims for the year to come.

4 comments:

  1. This is exciting, Jane - I don't think I realized how sweeping the changes were. I'm very happy for you, and I can't wait to see your work in the year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge changes - my shoulder has been dodgy for around 5 yrs now, which pretty much coincides with my time using oils. It really has felt like going back to basics - with the disadvantage of pain and time needed for physio.
    Very Big Plans for next year (and onwards) - which is a wee bit scary to talk about, as I shan't live up to it all. But will at least try - what else can us painting types do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mulish behavior, always; I'm sure whatever fraction you accomplish will be good in itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) will do my best - as will you I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete